Another notable 2017 anniversary: Diamond Head Lighthouse turns 100
HONOLULU, HI – In 1878, a lookout was established on the slopes of Diamond Head. It was later determined that a more substantial structure should be built to warn mariners of the dangers of the reefs. The original ironwork structure built in 1899 was replaced in 1917, and has since been further modernized to use LED lighting burning at 60,000 candlepower and shining 18 miles out to sea. The lighthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 and was featured on a US postage stamp in June 2007. –From the August 9th edition of 'Lectronic Latitude, the online version of the popular west coast sailing publication Latitude 38, owned and managed of late by our longtime friend and Bay Area sailing maven John Arndt. Full story.
USA postage stamp issued in 2007.